ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
· The Cancer Support Community Atlanta is the local affiliate of the world’s largest provider of psychosocial oncology programs in the United States.
· CSC offers a menu of personalized services and education for all people affected by cancer, bringing the highest quality cancer support to the millions of people touched by cancer.
· All programs are evidence-based, led by licensed facilitators and instructors, and are always offered free of charge.
· Cancer Support Community was named as the 6th most high-impact non-profit cancer organization in the U.S. by Philanthropedia, a Guidestar organization.
· CSC is one of only four cancer support/patient advocacy groups invited to join the American College of Surgeons. As part of this partnership, CSC worked closely with the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer to develop new patient-centered accreditation standards for CoC-accredited hospital cancer programs. The new accreditation standards now focus on the importance of including psychosocial support throughout patients’ diagnosis and treatment.
- The National office operates a Research and Training Institute in Philadelphia that features projects that promote the evidence-based models featured at the Cancer Support Community. Outcome data is collected from all of the chapters, so that all the programming offered is proven to benefit our participants. New programs are designed based on this data.
CANCER SUPPORT COMMUNITY ATLANTA HISTORY
· A diverse group of volunteers dedicated their time and efforts to start a local chapter of the Cancer Support Community. The Atlanta chapter received a charter in December 1994 and doors opened to participants in November 1997.
· In 1999, a formal partnership with Northside Hospital formed, making CSC Atlanta an official affiliate of Northside Hospital Cancer Institute. In May 2003, all programs moved to our current facility located across the street from Northside’s Atlanta campus.
· Our current facility is comfortable and homelike, with 8600 square feet containing:
o A large demonstration kitchen and dining room
o An education classroom
o Two support group “living rooms”
o Two exercise studios
o A library with internet access
o An art studio
o Various cozy seating areas to encourage spending time with others
· Licensed psychotherapists and social workers facilitate support groups that include general support groups as well as disease-specific groups such as breast and colorectal. Separate groups are also offered for adult family members and friends.
· Stress management classes such as yoga, T’ai Chi, and meditation are offered throughout the week and in the evenings.
· Gentle exercise classes are offered several times a week.
· Experts in the field of oncology conduct educational workshops, many of which are created by our headquarters’ staff and include slide presentations and bound resource materials for all participants.
· Programs are also offered at various locations throughout the Northside Hospital Cancer Institute region.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CANCER SUPPORT COMMUNITY
· All programs are free and parking is free.
· Programming is conducted by health-care professionals, licensed instructors and clinical facilitators.
· Offerings are designed to work in conjunction with standard medical treatment.
· All programs are evidence-based.